Monday, June 4, 2012

Mention Monday brings us Tim Hughes and Convicted


 It's Mention Monday! 
Today we have with us

Tim Hughes, Author of Convicted

Welcome Tim!!

Tell us a bit about yourself:
 
Do you work another job when you are not writing?
Yes, I do work another job.  I am an independent Information Technology consultant.  It’s really a very strange combination of worlds.  I have been in the IT world for over 16 years now.  It wasn’t until August of 2011 that I began writing.  At this point, writing doesn’t provide enough income to pay the bills, but with God’s blessing I will get to that point sooner rather than later.
What is your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing?
When I’m not writing/promoting/working in IT, you can usually find me exploring Colorado with my wife, working around the house or surfing the internet.  Other than the excursions to see different parts of the Colorado wilderness, I am very much a homebody.  I’m an introvert at heart, and being with my wife and dogs or simply by myself is how I recharge.
What is your favorite color? Why?
This is an interesting question to me.  Honestly, I can’t say that I have a favorite color.  I know that sounds noncommittal, but it’s true.  I like almost any color other than gray.  It just depends on the setting, lighting and my mood.  Any color can be beautiful in the right setting and any color can be miserable in the wrong one.
What is your favorite season? Why?
Here in Colorado,  I enjoy all of the seasons.  If I were forced to pick my favorite it would probably be Fall.  The temperatures are perfect with the chilly mornings and warm afternoons.  The sun is out almost every day, and the brilliant colors of the leaves changing is breathtaking in the mountains.
If you could live anyplace on earth, where would it be? Why?
If I could live any place on earth, I’m not sure I’d change away from Colorado.  It would be nice to be able to go to the beach, though.  How about having a home in the mountains of Colorado and a vacation property in Malibu?
If you could have any car, what would it be?
A Ferrari 458 Spider.  I’m definitely a lover of fast cars.  Now, if I just had the pocketbook to match the taste!
How long have your been writing? Was it a dream, a goal or is it just a hobby?
I am just getting started in the writing world.  I began Convicted in early September of last year and made it available to the public on Kindle in late February of this year.  Becoming a writer was actually a bit of surprise to me.  I know that sounds odd, but it’s true.  In the summer of 2011, my wife and I began praying that God would use us for His purposes rather than the two of us doing what we thought was the best thing.  God answered our prayers one morning at the beginning of August, when he made it more than clear that I was to begin writing books.
I was lost, out of my element and scared, which is exactly why God was able to use me.  My background does not lend itself to writing fiction, so any enjoyment or moments of personal reflection my readers get from my books is solely attributable to God’s inspiration.  I am still very much in the learning process, but I do enjoy the writing and editing process a great deal.  More than I ever would have dreamed.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing?
For my first novel I spent two hours a day writing and completed the first draft in about 30 days.  My wife and I then spent the better part of five months editing it.  Since we finished in February, I have taken a break from writing and I am now learning the fine art of book promotion.  However, I have recently begun to blog and find it to be quite cathartic.  I don’t have a set schedule for writing the blog, as I only do it when I have something I think others would be interested in. 
Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
I don’t have a set routine for writing except when I am in the process of writing a book.  Otherwise, it’s pretty much when the mood strikes.
Is there some place special you like to be when you write?
I write in the basement of my house.  Not exactly glamorous, I know, but it works for me.  I like to write in the late evenings when it’s dark.  It’s a walkout basement, so I close all of the shades, turn off all of the lights except for a small light over the table I am sitting at, and go about my writing.
Do you listen to music or do you need a quiet place to write?
I tend do my writing with headphones, listening to creative writing subliminal music.  It is the same melodic tune over and over again, but it helps block out the rest of the world and the lack of lyrics keeps my mind focused on what I am doing.  Other than that, I need:  no distractions, no other noise, nothing but me and the pen and paper (or word processer).  To me, it is very much like meditation and a chance for me to connect with the Holy Spirit for the guidance I need as I write my book.
Tell us about your book:
The book is designed to entertain.  It is fiction, and if a fiction book doesn’t entertain, it is doomed from page one.   However, there is a deeper message in the book, and if I am listening to God, there will be a deeper message in all of the books I will write.  My desire is for my readers to connect to the characters in my book in a way that causes them to look inward into their own hearts. 
This novel is about a man in his late twenties living in Atlanta in the year 2025.  There has been an economic reset and the world is a very different place than it is today.  The story draws inspiration from the parable of The Good Samaritan in the Bible and tells of the trials and tribulations of a man who is forced into situations he doesn’t understand.   Along the perilous journey he learns a great deal about himself and those around him are profoundly impacted by his actions.
What is the name of it and is it part of a series or a stand-alone novel?
The novel is Convicted and it is the first book of the Impact Series.  I don’t yet know how many books will be in the series, but all of them will be based off one of the parables of Jesus.  They will attempt to drive home the point of how we affect those we come into contact with every day, in an entertaining way of course.
Where did the idea come from? How long did it take to write?
The idea was divinely inspired.  Please don’t get me wrong when I say divinely inspired.  That doesn’t mean that God wrote this book for me.  My wife and I put in plenty of hours working and reworking the book, but the idea was provided to me by the Holy Spirit.  The book played out as movie scenes in my head and I transcribed what I saw in the best way I knew how. 
It took 30 days of writing two hours a day and I wrote it down long-hand on 12X18 sheets of paper.  I took the ideas on writing from Tom Bird and modified them to work with my situation.  After completion of the first draft, the editing process took five months and another 5 drafts.
What is it about?
Here is my typical description of the book:  
Join our hero, Declan Elliot, as he struggles to survive the brutalities of America in 2025. On the way home from work one evening, Declan's life changes forever. The night's events thrust him headlong into a perilous journey fraught with murder, catastrophic weather and out of control crime. In this 21st century retelling of the classic parable of the Good Samaritan, Declan battles to overcome rejection, betrayal and a high powered politician who will stop at nothing to see him dead.   With his faith tested and his spirit under attack, how will our hero respond?
Do you have any upcoming projects in the works or other books that have been published?
I am in the beginning stages of working on my second novel, but I am spending most of my free time promoting Convicted.  My main focus right now to is to learn as much as I possibly can about the both the writing and promoting process and to develop relationships with my readers and other writers.
Where can readers connect with you?
The best place to connect with me is via my website.  I have a blog there that is open to comments and a contact page.   In addition, I am active on Twitter and  I am just now getting started on Facebook as well.  
Where can we buy your books?
Right now, Convicted is only available as a Kindle eBook.  That will soon be changing and I plan to expand to Nook, iBook, Sony Reader, etc.  My intent is to stay in the eBook format for a while, but if the right opportunities present themselves, I will move to standard publishing as well.
AMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment