Friday, May 25, 2012

Thomas talks about his story "Amethyst Eyes" by Debbie Brown


Please welcome character 
Dthau-Mahsz "Thomas" Commander of the Phoenix and Tommy's father
to our blog today!
He is the star of the book Amethyst Eyes
Created by Debbie Brown


As Thomas joins me, I can't help but stare into a strong face and a pair of amazing Amethyst Eyes. There is no doubt where the name of the book came from! 

Thank you Thomas for joining me today! Tell me about your story. 


Amethyst Eyes starts off with a horrible tragedy in which my wife dies, leaving my son alone and injured in the hospital. 
What a way to start a story, I'm so sorry!
As you soon find out, I am not from Earth, and as soon as I get the emergency signal I make arrangements to go to my family, but the reality of the situation hits me hard when I sense the loss of my wife through the link.
Wait... you're not from earth?
The story is about my son, who after losing his mother leaves the only life he’s ever known to come live with me. I am the commander of a Crisis Intervention Vessel and live onboard my ship. 
I assume that is a spaceship...
Unfortunately, due to the injuries sustained in the accident and the poor care he’d received, I was forced to have him undergo treatment in medical bay upon his arrival…I’m sure it didn’t help ease his apprehension of us. I found myself in a similar situation on Earth, having to trust someone I didn’t know in a world I knew even less about.
Trust is a hard thing.
Tommy’s adaptation was difficult since he was not prepared to deal with my world…something his mother neglected to include in his education. I had enlisted the help of the doctor’s daughter, Jayden. She is a few months younger than my son, and ahead in her studies, but she made it clear from the beginning that she was not pleased with the arrangement. She made a serious mistake that almost cost my son his life, but was able to follow the list I had given her after the incident without any more trouble.
Well that is good. 
My son seemed to struggle with every aspect of his new life. Much of our existence is thought directed and this was quite a shock to him. I believe he feared some kind of mind control in the beginning. 
I'm sure he did. 
Tommy had to learn how everything worked, had to catch up in school (which was quite an endeavor) and had to accept our philosophy and our ways…all very different from what he knew. Both he and I have amethyst eyes…rare, even amongst my people. This made him the target of the Binari and their quest for power. When he was abducted by the Binari I was afraid I would lose my son…when I felt his life force slipping away…
The thought of losing your son so soon after your wife must have been dreadful!
Our adventure brought us back to Earth, giving Jayden a glimpse of Tommy’s life and all the differences. I believe this helped her adjust her attitude towards my son.
 I am afraid I might have given away too much information here…well, If you want to know more you will have to read the book.
LOL... I think you gave us enough to make us want to know more!
We all want to be different, so what is the one thing you wish your creator had done differently with you?
I wish there would have been a way for me to remain with my family. I did not want to have to leave my wife and only son behind because of my duty. Most of all, I did not want to suffer the loss of my wife in order to be reunited with my son.
Of course you didn't! 
If you could have added something to the story, and your creator would have let you, what would that have been?
You mean aside from not losing or being separated from my wife and child? I would have to say protecting my son from the Binari attacks. I almost lost him there, and I would have liked to keep him safe. Our sense of duty, especially to family is beyond what you seem to understand…but I could not just force my wife to follow.
I bet you wish you did now. 
What do you love best about yourself? What do you like least?
I have many responsibilities. In my job as commander of the Crisis Intervention Vessel, I have been part of many rescue missions and seen hopeless situations turned around so that these people could be given another chance at life. I also love the bond I have formed with my son. I believe I am a fair commander, and that I am respected and appreciated by my crew.
That is always good.
What I dislike would have to be the fact that my job forced me to leave my wife and son behind. I did not get to see him grow and I lost my soul mate when my wife died. I know you cannot understand, but our position is determined through a series of tests and trials, placing us in the best and often only position suited for us. There was no other to take my place, which is why I had to leave my wife and child. I had hoped they would follow, but my wife preferred to stay behind on Earth to raise our son.
I know that must have been hard on everyone.
What part of the book was the hardest for you and your creator to work through?
Seeing my son suffer and struggle through the changes in his life. He lost his mother, had to leave his home, friends and planet behind to come live with me…and his mother had not prepared him. Tommy did not know anything about me or my world and this only complicated things. 
I bet!
Is there a sequel for this book? If so, what do you want to accomplish in the next book. If not, do you wish you could continue your story?
There is a prequel coming out around August that tells the story of my time on Earth, from my crash landing to my departure, and my life with Emma (my wife) in between. The story is told through my wife’s eyes.
Very cool!
The sequel is under way, told three years after Tommy’s arrival on board. Tommy has started his specific training, and he is now a cadet. His friendship with Jayden has evolved, possibly into something more. There are also changes he may not be prepared to deal with that have to do with the prophecy…the legend about Amethyst Eyes. And there is the increasing danger of disaster on Earth…so much to deal with.
Sounds very exciting!  Thank you Thomas for coming to visit with us today and for sharing the information about your book!  
Watch the Video Trailer

To Purchase Amethyst Eyes
To contact the Creator Debbie Brown

2 comments:

  1. Things are really picking up for you these days - Bravo Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous :0)

    Fun post Stacy, thank you.

    ReplyDelete