Friday, April 20, 2012

We Welcome Greer MacManus from Queer Greer to our blog today!


Please welcome character 
Greer MacManus
to our blog today!
She is the star of the book Queer Greer
Created by A.J. Walkley

Let's welcome her to the blog and find out what her story is all about!

Greer just walked into the studio, the end of her notepad bouncing slightly as it hangs out of her back pocket. When she shakes my hand, I double check it to make sure the ink from her fingers didn't rub off on my skin.


Welcome Greer!  Thank you so much for stopping by today! Get yourself comfortable and tell us about your story!

Queer Greer is a book about, well, me!

lol... I kind of figured that since you are the star. What else is it about? 
I wasn’t sure how I felt about it when it was written because, to be honest, it’s really personal. The author didn’t hold anything back about my whole coming out process when I was in high school. 

Coming out? 
It was a very, very difficult time. I was truly in love with Cameron – one of the hottest guys in school and a football player, to boot – as well as Becca – captain of the swimming team and one of the most beautiful girls I’ve ever known. 

Ah... Okay I get it now. 
I lied a lot – to Cameron, to Becca, my parents and, maybe more than anyone, to myself. I was going through so much, just having moved to a new state and a new school; my best friend, Nick, not being there when I needed him more than ever; having all of these feelings I never thought I would have. 

I can only imagine what you were going through. 

It’s kind of embarrassing for me to read it, but I know it might help other teens going through similar situations, so, overall, I think it’s a good thing that it’s out there for people to read.

I bet it will help other teens out there - and adults too. I'm glad you let her tell your story.

We all want to be different, so what is the one thing you wish your creator had done differently with you?

She could’ve made me a little prettier! I mean, Cameron’s a hunk and Becca’s this blonde bombshell, but she describes me as kind of mousy, honestly. But, then again, that’s always how I’ve thought of myself, so she was just trying to be true to me as a character.

I don't know a person who doesn't wish they looked differently.
If you could have added something to the story, and your creator would have let you, what would that have been?

I definitely would have added a scene where Nick admitted that he had a crush on a guy back at our school in South Carolina! It wasn’t really important to MY story, but I think it definitely made Nick’s reaction to my crush on Becca make a lot more sense. 

lol.. It might have. 

What do you love best about yourself? What do you like least?

Ooh, those are hard questions! Is it strange to say I like my scars the best? I mean, they were self-inflicted, which signifies a really difficult time in my life, but they are also a reminder that I got through that time and I’m all the stronger for it. 

That is a great thing to love about yourself.  You fought - you won. YES! 

Least, I’d have to say I don’t like the fact that, technically, I cheated on two people I cared a lot about. At the time, I just didn’t think about that fact because I thought it was more important for me to figure out who I was. Looking back on it, though, I shouldn’t have dated two people at once. It only ended up hurting everyone in the end, myself included.

Ouch!
What part of the book was the hardest for you and your creator to work through?

It was definitely the cutting. Neither of us was sure whether we should include that aspect of dealing with my sexuality, but because it is such a truth for a lot of LGBT people coming to terms with their attraction, we felt it was important to include.

I believe that it would be.  
Is there a sequel for this book? If so, what do you want to accomplish in the next book. If not, do you wish you could continue your story?

There isn’t a sequel now, but there could be! A lot has happened since the end of Queer Greer. I’ve graduated high school and gotten into college. I’ve also been in my first truly serious relationship since Cameron and Becca. I’ve had my identity challenged by new friends and old, and my family has slowly come around, my mom especially. 


Thank you Greer so much for coming to talk to me today and for sharing your story.  

To Purchase Queer Greer:


Rocket Science Productions:
http://bit.ly/zsnW8Y


To contact the creator A.J. Walkey
Blog & Website: ajwalkley.com
Twitter: @AJWalkley

No comments:

Post a Comment